The name Fetcham is derived from the Anglo-Saxon "Fecca's ham" – Fecca's settlement. Fetcham lay within the Copthorne hundred.
There is evidence that there were even earlier settlements, with the discovery of Stone and Bronze Age tools and Roman artifacts, as well as three ancient burial grounds.
Fetcham appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Feceham. It was held partly by William the Conqueror; partly by Richard from the Bishop of Bayeux partly by Oswald the Thegn. Fetcham, therefore, was referenced in the Domesday survey as three manors; one known as King's Manor was probably Fetcham Park; another was given to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux after the Norman conquest. The third was an Augustinian foundation from Merton Priory, at Cannon Court, which Henry VIII dissolved in 1538.
Its small manorial farming community numbered 176 in the survey, but halved as a result of the Black Death in 1349. In the first half of the nineteenth century the population was still only around 370. In the 1931 census it had reached 1,318 and by 1972 was 7,331.
Fetcham Heritage Trail
Aimed at families, we have created a simple Heritage Trail of Fetcham. Pointing out some places of interest and outlining some basic historical facts.